While scientists are unravelling the profound benefits of healthy gut bacteria, much damage is being done courtesy of GMO produce. In the US, an up-coming debate will determine whether GMO-containing produce will require mandatory labeling across the country. Let’s hope common sense prevails and that public sentiment isn’t swayed by the very powerful and extremely well-funded GMO lobby, who insist on the safety of their produce despite all the findings to the contrary.
Dr. Don Huber, leading GMO expert in the world says there are several key factors we must be aware of. Huber is an award-winning, internationally recognized scientist, and professor of plant pathology at Purdue University for over 35 years. His concerns about GMO rest on the following issues.
- There are NO peer-reviewed scientific studies establishing the long-term safety of GMO crops. They simply do not exist.
- There is an identical rise in over 30 human diseases, correlating exactly with increasing use of glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup Ready - herbicide for GM and other crops) and the increased prevalence of genetically engineered proteins in foods.
- Foods heavily sprayed with glyphosate have a lower nutrient density than conventional crops, they contain higher levels of pesticides, along with novel, highly allergenic proteins.
- As well as chelating minerals, glyphosate is an antibiotic - destroying not only beneficial soil bacteria, but also the all-important gut bacteria that are the foundation of both physical and mental human health.
- Not only do GMOs alter your intestinal microflora, research shows that human cells are able to transfer those novel genes, thereby affecting the human genome.
- Glyphosate may also be responsible for the collapse of bee colonies.
In other words, the potential damage to human and plant systems from GMO crops is incalculable and ongoing. Therefore take whatever steps you can to legislate for mandatory labeling, better still campaign for complete non-use of GMO seeds and associated herbicides/pesticides. And vote with your dollars - BUY ORGANIC!