Friday, December 6, 2013

Did you get your sunshine today?

Researchers now link vitamin D deficiency to the likelihood of cognitive decline in the elderly, so despite the skin-cancer scare-mongers, that means regular sun exposure for maintaining mental acuity. Then other researchers remind us that the brain is just like any other muscle, benefitting from new, varied and diverse mental activities to keep it in great shape. I’m up for it, regular time on the beach or out walking in the sun, and do my brain training most days too! In the interest of writing this blog I reviewed my Lumosity Brain Training history. Brain Performance Index (BPI) is a measure of cognitive performance and is based on the combined results of my best games in each Brain Area - Memory, Attention, Speed, Flexibility, Problem Solving. Four years ago, when I began BPI was a mere 341, today it is 1198 and is better than 98 percent of my age peers.

Then I read that the indomitable Rolling Stones (combined ages 277) will tour Australia in 2014 and that Mick Jagger’s preparation for the tour includes Tai-chi, yoga, pilates, weight-training, kick-boxing and ballet. I can’t quite beat Mick on the physical activity score, but agree with him that being active and involved in something you love i.e. a “noble cause” is the key to maintaining physical and mental health when all around you are losing theirs.

Downside?  I’ll have to live with the sun damage, but to be honest, I’d sooner have my brain, my immune system and much more in great shape.

1 comment:

Susan Ross said...

Yes I have had my Vitamin D dose today as it's 30 degrees in Katoomba! Thanks for the reminder.